Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Youth Ministry Gem

Another gem I gathered from this year’s Youth Pastor Retreat is the art of regular reporting to the Church Senior Pastor. A guy who had been a youth pastor for many years said he wrote a weekly overview of what had gone on in their ministry for the last week, describing it in detail, pros, cons, people, ideas, growth, mistakes and all reflections possible. I write my reports to PastorG every Tuesday, (well… most Tuesdays) the same day each week, and sent it via email, as well as keeping a copy for myself.
 I was looking back over them just recently, and when I first began writing them I was praying for 40 kids. I was preparing a ‘Death by Chocolate’ night one week, and we had 35 kids attend the week before. So I prayed for 40 kids, and yet set up the chocolate related activities for 35 participants. Guess what? We got exactly 35 kids. I went home after the event night, a little angry at God. I remember saying to him, “God, I prayed for 40 kids this week, don’t you want 40 too? Don’t you want more kids to meet you and learn about you?” I sensed his response was, “Glenda… how many did you prepare for?” Ah. Light bulb moment.
I wrote all this down not so I have record of how silly I am, (goes without saying) but so I can record the lesson, reducing the need to possibly revisit it in the future, say when I’m praying for 250 kids.
Although the act of writing a youth report each week involves incredible discipline on my part, I am REALLY enjoying the learning process. I go over each game, message, worship set, everything.. in as much detail as I can remember and as time will permit.
Not only does it give PastorG an accurate idea of what happened, it indicates to him any areas of weakness that he can pray for, supply help, funds, advice, anything we may need that he can provide. It has also helped me to grow in my role as Youth Pastor. It helps me to pray, it increases my faith, and it drives me to do better every time, like school test results, or the score in an xbox game.
I notice I’m also paying attention to kids beyond Friday nights a lot more. I conclude my reports listing things for prayer, and most often this paragraph is filled with kid’s names, like Sarah who has been fighting with her Mum, or Max who took a Bible home this week. Or Corey… who once again put his head through the wall. Remember, God reads these reports too.
Even if you don’t have someone you are accountable too, writing a review of your week and events is a really good idea. Even if your senior pastor hasn’t requested a report, send him one anyway. Write one to your Mum if you have too. But get it all down.
Try it for one month. You can do that. 4 reports, one each week. Look back after that. See what you have learnt, achieved, what ideas your reflections have inspired. Cant hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment