Sunday, June 26, 2011

Numbers


Be careful what you pray for! Last Friday night at our regular youth meeting we reached in numbers an all time high. We had 74 in attendance. I know to some of the larger churches 74 isnt a huge number, but lets look at this in perspective.
Last February 2010 I had 35 kids and was praying for 40. At the beginning of this year, 50 was a good night, but we had an aim to reach over 70 by December. It’s June.
Also we live in Blayney. Blayney’s population is 3000. There are about 400 kids at the local high school.  So in terms of percentage, ummmm we had a good night. (Maths=blerg)
Also, its winter! Not winter in any part of the country, but winter in Blayney! It snows in Blayney! 5 degrees Celsius in winter is a lovely day! Winter has traditionally been our weakest time for attendance but we understood, it’s hard to leave a nice warm fire and come into a chilly church hall.
Ok so I’m a bit excited about all hits. But now my brain has started ticking over. With 74 kids in our church hall it was a bit squishy. Connect groups were not very connective as groups were very close to each other and very loud. If we keep growing what on earth are we going to do? Will we have to change our program? We will have to hire a school hall? Will the kids still flow from youth to church so easily if we meet in a different building? Each connect group was almost at capacity, I don’t have enough leaders for each group to divide!!! How can I get that many to come to church?
I have discovered that the things you have prayed for also require preparation on my part. So Ive got some work to do. I’m just not sure where to start.
So now my prayer time is asking for wisdom and creativity, it’s asking for empowerment for me and my leaders, and its asking for more workers for the harvest. It’s really true, the harvest is ripe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment